By serving compassionately and connecting authentically, we change the world.
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Jacksonville was founded in 1906 by Duncan Fletcher, who served as Mayor of Jacksonville and became one of Florida’s U.S. Senators. After hard times during the depression and war years, the congregation was renewed in the 1950s by strong lay-leadership, led by Dorcas and Francis Alberti. By 1958 the congregation had a home on St. John’s Avenue in Riverside. In 1960, a new minister, Rev. McGehee, was hired. Along with many members of our congregation, Rev. McGehee became an active leader in the civil rights movement.
The architect of our present building was Bob Broward, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. We share a boundary with the Tree Hill Nature Center, and our buildings have received significant architectural awards.
Membership at UUCJ is multifold. We call each member to: be active and giving of their time, talents, and treasure; offer their diversity of thought and spirituality with openness and acceptance; and become a vital part of the growth and longevity of this church.