O’LENO 44 > O’LENO CHECKLIST, LOCATION & MORE
[su_box title=”O’Leno Retreat Suggested Checklist” style=”default” box_color=”#2b7696″ title_color=”#FFFFFF” radius=”3″ class=””]
- Bedding: Sheets/pillows; blankets/etc.
- Towels and Soap
- Insect Repellent (25-30% DEETS)
- Flashlight/Night Light
- Portable Fan
- Ice Chest
- Sneakers/Comfortable Shoes
- Lawn Chairs
- Ground Cloth/Blanket
- Inner Tube/Raft
- Bike, Canoe, Kayak
- Favorite Mug (if you don’t like foam)
- Recreation Equipment (Frisbee, etc)
- Playing Cards/Games/Toys
- Fishing gear/License
- Harmonica, Guitar, Drum, etc
- Nature Books/Pleasure Books
Schedule of Activities
Arrive and settle into your cabin. Relax and enjoy the park amenities or visit what interests you nearby. Lunch on your own.
- 3:00-5:30 pm Check in and get cabin assignments, confirm work tasks and pick up t-shirts.
- 6:00-7:30 pm Dinner with “Get to Know the Gang” activity
- 7:00-8:00 pm Kids Kampfire with Ms. Betsy
- 10:00 pm Campfire Communing
- 8:00-9:30 am Breakfast
- 9:30-11:30 am Kayaking: Rental fee $40 includes kayak and transport to river (transport of personal kayaks $10)
- 9:30-11:00 am Youth Activities for kids 5-11
- 9:30-11:00 am Workshop with Mike Aiken
- 12:00-1:30 pm lunch
- 1:30-5:00 pm Campers Choice: Free time! Relax, swim, or socialize. We recommend tubing the Ichetucknee!
- 5:30-7:00 pm Dinner and Table Team Trivia
- 7:00-8:00 pm Kids Kampfire
- 8:00-10:00 pm UUCJ Youth Show: Our own youth surprise us with evening entertainment. Created and presented all on their own!
- 10:00 pm Campfire Communing
- 9:30-10:30 am Riverside Worship Service
- 11:00-12:30 pm Brunch
- 12:00-1:00 pm Food Sale in the Dining Hall
Come early to take advantage of a long weekend getaway. Check-in on Friday as early as 10:00am. The sooner you arrive the more time you’ll have to wind down from your work week schedule and the more enjoyment you’ll get from the O’Leno experience.
The outer park gate is locked at sundown. Call Martha Aiken (904-703-1638) or Jennifer Tucker (904-955-3909) to get the four digit pin to get in the park. It is a long, dark walk from the outer gate to group campsite if you cannot connect with someone at the campsite.
During check-in, you will receive your cabin and work crew assignment. For those who ordered them, O’Leno T-shirts will also be available at this time.
If you arrive early on Thursday or Friday, bring a picnic lunch or take advantage of some nearby cafes in High Springs. Friday’s evening meal, which is included in your registration fee, will be served from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. For those who cannot arrive within this time, you are on your own. The kitchen will not be available for personal cooking.
It is against the law to consume alcoholic beverages in a state park.
There are no pets allowed in the group camp.
This retreat is based on collective fun and collective work (even the work is fun). Everybody has been asked to sign up for a cooking or a cleaning task. It is very important that you arrive on time for your assignment and stay until your responsibilities are fulfilled. We need your help and cooperation to make this weekend successful.
Come prepared for anything! We have had cold, hot, wet, dry, stormy, buggy and sometimes even perfect weather in past years. Often, it is warm during the day and cool in the evenings. Whatever the weather, come anyway. We guarantee you will have a great time!
Layered clothing for fluctuating temperatures. For some outings, you may like to have a long sleeve shirt and long pants. We recommend light colored socks and shoes to spot those pesky ticks and remove them sooner. Shorts, jeans, casual shirts, and comfortable shoes are the fashion statement for O’Leno. We are having a Retro Dance Nite on Friday evening and encourage you to wear your favorite era dance outfit!
Official park ‘quiet time’ is 10:30 p.m. Park rules state, ‘there will not excessive loud noises after this time.’ Please be considerate of your fellow campers as even small noises carry great distances at night in the campground. We request that all teens and youth be in their assigned cabins by the midnight hour.
Directions & Contact Info
[su_gmap width=”600″ height=”400″ responsive=”yes” address=”410 Dogwood Trail, High Springs, FL, 32643″ class=””]
O’Leno address is 410 Dogwood Trail, High Springs, FL, 32643. It is about 70 miles west of Jacksonville, just north of High Springs, and about 30 miles south of Lake City on US 41/441.
The O’Leno State Park telephone number is (386) 454-1853.
Take advantage of the many excursions available to you during the weekend. Information about these trips will be available at the campground’s dining hall.
For those with children, there is a well-equipped playground adjacent to the group camp.
Volleyball, horseshoes, and shuffleboard are also available, so get some teams together and play for fun or “go for the win.”
Mother nature has provided a beautiful background for this camp setting – take advantage of it and explore!