Walk the Labyrinth this Sunday with Kathleen Renee leading us as we celebrate the Fall Equinox (which is official on the 23rd). We will meet at 10 a.m. on Sunday, the 22nd, and hold good intentions for our journey through the last part of 2019. All are welcome.
Mary Claire Van der Horst celebrated her 89th birthday on Monday, September 16th. Congratulations, Mary Claire! She wants to be remembered by her UUCJ friends and misses being able to see her friends at Sunday services.
Frequent guests, Ken and Nancy Chandler, are neighbors of Lois Hoeft. Ken was admitted to Memorial Hospital on Saturday, September 14th. His condition has improved, but he remains hospitalized. Healing thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The Interfaith Coalition for Action, Rehabilitation and Empowerment (ICARE) is a group of congregations in Jacksonville who address problems of injustice in Jacksonville. Their successful actions have resulted in systemic changes, such as the use of restorative justice for youth guilty of misdemeanors.
Every fall we want to hear about injustices that affect you and your extended community. At UUCJ each person on the ICARE team hosts a house meeting to listen to your stories and answer questions. Plan now to attend one of the following events:
- Sunday, September 22nd at 12:15 p.m. in the Barton Room with Lois Hoeft (Lbhjax2@comcast.net or 477-8320)
- Sunday, September 29th at 12:15 p.m. in the Anthony Room with Meg Rohal (firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-6982)
- Friday, October 4th at 6:00 p.m. at Brian Lapinski’s farm (email@example.com or 525-3309)
Located in our Arlington Neighborhood, L’Arche creates an environment where people with intellectual and physical disabilities can share their gifts. Paul Poirrier, Director of Development will further explain the mission of L’Arche and how our generous contributions can enhance their programs. Checks can be written to UUCJ with L’Arche in the memo line.
UUCJ ACS (Arlington Community Services) Coordinating Group thanks Arlington Community Garden for continuing their efforts to provide fresh produce to the Arlington community. They delivered 41 pounds of Okra and spices to ACS during August 2019!
- October 14th: The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (004.092 PAUSCH). (The 14th is the SECOND Monday in October; we have rescheduled from an earlier date because several members will be away at The Mountain on that date.)
- November 4th: The Gatekeepers – How the White House Chiefs of Staff Define Every Presidency by Chris Whipple (973.920922 Whipple).
We meet at Books-a-Million on Atlantic Boulevard 1:00-2:00 pm.
- Tadpole Cove (0 to PreK): 9:15 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
- Water Village (K-5th): 11:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Walenthorpe (6th-12th): 12:15 p.m.-1:15 p.m.
UU Justice Florida has just launched its completely redesigned website at https://uujusticefl.org/. This website provides important updates and information on issues of environmental justice and legislative advocacy. Sign up for the UUJF newsletter and Action Alerts on the “Take Action” page.
Greg Hines was discharged from St. Vincent’s Southside on September 6th. He is now recovering at home and won’t be going back to work for a while. Greg is looking forward to getting back to church and saying hello to everyone.
Ann Guest is scheduled to have a biopsy and surgery on her vocal cords as an outpatient at Shands Hospital on September 16th. Cards would be very much appreciated, but, please, no phone calls. Best wishes for Ann.